Sunday, May 26, 2013

Nan's Amazing Cinnamon Rolls

I was still finishing my (2nd) Saturday morning coffee when I received a surprise phone call. It was my cousin, B.R., from Vegas. He says, "Hey, I'm on my way to Nan's to learn to make her cinnamon rolls. You want to meet me there?".  B.R. is notorious for surprise visits.  Since I had been trying to do this with her for years but had let life's business continue to get in the way,  I accepted the invite. I was ecstatic!

As we walked up the back steps, the aroma of the yeast greeted us.  I LOVE that smell!  The dough was in the oven, rising.

We visited; catching up on current times and reminiscing about old times, told my daughters stories about when we were younger and looked at old pictures.  We rifled through Nan's cookbooks, remembering our favorites as a child and excited about making them ourselves now.  

We used a Foundation Sweet Dough. 

2 pkg yeast
1 c. warm water
1 T. sugar 
1 c. milk
6 T. shortening
1/2 c. sugar
1 t. salt
7 c. flour
3 eggs
Sugar and cinnamon 

There are so many variations of rolls to make with this dough. 


Here we go!!!!!

Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1 T sugar. Heat milk. Add shortening, 1/2 c. sugar, salt- cool to lukewarm. Add 2 c. flour. Add yeast and eggs. Beat this mixture well. Add remaining flour. Knead, gently for 6-8 minutes.  Allow dough to rise (double in size) in a warm place.  

Cut dough in half and turn out on a floured workspace. 


Roll dough out to about 1/2 " thickness in an oblong shape.  Spread with a layer of softened margarine. 

Sprinkle with sugar (covering dough) and cinnamon, to taste. 


Pull and roll dough into a long cylinder shape. Pulling as you roll keeps the rolls from falling apart. 


Cut into 1" rolls and place in a grease pan.


Return dough to a warm place and allow rolls to rise, double in size. 


Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 20 minutes or until golden. 


Cool and frost with your favorite icing. We made my Grandmother's frosting. I'll have to work on the measurements, it's a "this much" powdered sugar, a "hunk" of softened margerine and 2 spoonsful of fresh, hot coffee kind of recipe. 


Enjoy!!!




No comments: